Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Life Update May...

So we just left off with graduation, and now we are finally into May!  Before I go on, I don't think I've talked about my church calling yet.  So I was in the primary doing singing time, which I absolutely loved.  I was so impressed with these kids and how musical they were at such young ages!  They helped make our transition into this well-established family ward a lot easier because they were so loving and friendly to me every Sunday :).  Unfortunately, I was released from the Primary about a month ago and my new calling is the Ward Music Chair.  

Basically, what I do now is try to find musical numbers for sacrament meeting every Sunday and get families or groups together and ready to perform.  There are lots of other responsibilities that go along with it like just trying to build up the culture of music in our ward, which I'm excited about, but I sure miss my primary kids.  I sort of cry inside every time I pass the primary room on my way to Relief Society and hear them singing the songs I taught them.  (I just realized I never posted about primary officially, which is sad, but I'm sure I'll be back there at some point in my life, so don't worry...)  But Mother's Day this year helped change my feeling about my calling a little bit.  

The primary kids always perform a Mother's Day song and they were as cute as ever, but I also wanted some young women to perform "Consider the Lilies of the Field"--which I actually wrote about two years ago here--what can I say?  I love this song!  I have always loved this piece and I thought it was appropriate for Mother's Day because it's all about the most perfect example of love from our Savior that we should all be trying to emulate.  Getting the young women to practice with me was more difficult than I thought it would be--their lives are so busy!  But they were very dedicated, and they were excited about getting the harmonies right.  It turned out beautifully and I really felt the Spirit when they were singing.  I was so proud of them and it made me excited about seeing more music in this ward.  

This last weekend we camped up in American Fork Canyon with Annie and Russ.  It was a long, cold, rather miserable trip, but it was still fun.  Lucky Dave has a fantastic tent that kept us warm and dry during the torrential downpour.  We stayed just long enough to do tinfoil dinners one night, and a breakfast casserole in the dutch oven the next morning.  Then we were outta there!  Dave and I got to go fishing the first night for about an hour while we were waiting for the rain to stop and I caught a fish!  But then we didn't really get to go again so it was kind of lame.  Hopefully we can make it up there again sometime soon when the weather forecast isn't predicting a storm...lesson learned--don't plan a camping trip hoping the weather report is wrong!  

You can see just a tiny bit of my fish!!  It was a beautiful rainbow trout!

The breakfast casserole was delicious!

Awesome tent with amazing rain fly.

This is what our campsite was sitting on.  The river!

Happy to be by the fire under the EZ-up and out of the rain...none of us died of carbon Monoxide poisoning luckily.




So I think that sums up May for us.  Maybe I'll be more diligent about posting from here on out.  If not, just know it's because we are finally cracking down and finishing the last of our Thank You cards for our wedding (I know...so late!).  So I guess I'll be back when the thank you's are done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment