I forgot to blog about my sewing projects! I wanted to sew a costume for my niece Tori, and I saw some pretty yellow fabric at Hancock's the other day so I decided on a Belle dress. Now, you have to understand that my total count of things successfully sewed was 3 before this dress--a pair of pajama pants, a skirt, and a button up shirt that fits super awkwardly. A costume was like, way out of my league, but I figured that if it didn't fit quite right, who really cared? And if worst came to worst, I could hot glue it together, right? So anyway, I got the costume pattern from JoAnn's and got to work. I had already done pretty much everything the directions were asking me to do before except a liner for the bodice. I've never sewn a liner because we weren't that advanced in our beginning sewing class, but I knew I needed to learn, so I figured this was a good time.
I was nervous the dress would be hideous or wouldn't fit her at all, but it actually turned out great! Things I learned:
-People are not exaggerating when they tell you slippery fabrics are hard to sew with. Wow that satin was a nightmare! I didn't realize how easily it caught and slipped around under the presser foot!
-Simple embellishments like sewing a ribbon around the bodice is going to add a lot of time to your project when you're not that great at sewing even just the basics.
-Tulle is super cheap and easy to sew because you can't really see it, so who cares if you mess up?
-You can't sew a dress for one niece, and not for the other.
|Notice jealous little Riley in the top right |
corner...that broke my heart.
Overall, though, it was a blast. It didn't take as long as I expected, and Tori was adorable as she pretended to be Belle and dance around in her dress for about 2 hours. Here are some pictures of the process..
|I was so excited after I finished the bodice!|
|Here's what the dress looked like just according |
to the pattern directions (minus the hem).
|And here was the finished product once I'd |
added some jewels and the ribbon.
|And here's Tori in her dress!|
|Loved the sparkly tulle and cheap costume |
satin that worked wayy better than Tori's!
|Her sleeves were harder, but so cute!|
|The belt was actually velcro so it could detach,|
but it's pinned here so it looks awkward...
|Final product! The belt looked a little space warrior princess|
so I added a rose made out of the scraps I had left over.