Thursday, January 24, 2013

Back to School...

So, I believe we left off with school starting.  That happened.  It was great.  It really was for me, actually.  I like my schedule this semester.  I think Dave is going to struggle again feeling like sometimes his classes waste his time.  Hopefully he'll be able to keep working on some coding and refining those skills, though, which will be great.

Dave started back at work too and he has been running a lot of the projects right now as the main manager's been out of the office for a while.  The manager just got back and I think Dave is officially now managing all the part-time employees.  He's good at managing and he likes working with all the students on their projects, so that's good.  I've been a little sick this past week, so he's already behind in his classes because he's been taking care of me instead of doing his homework like he should...

I started my last semester and I am way overwhelmed.  I am taking 18 credits, which I've done before and that's fine, but I have 4 English classes...which is a lot.  Just to give you a perspective: To Read--30 Young Adult books in one class, 7 Shakespeare plays and films in my senior course, 9 American Novels in my American Novel class (go figure), and then about 60 pages a night in a Norton anthology filled with Myths, Legends, and Folktales.  Unfortunately, all of these classes require report of reading except my Myths class, so obviously, that one gets the cut.  (Hence why I am blogging during this class every week 0:) )  So far, I've actually kept up pretty well.

I've read a total of 7 books already this semester which I think is more than I've ever read in an entire semester (I don't have the best track record for keeping up with reading...).  Fortunately, I like the books this semester!  Who doesn't love young adult literature?  It's so easy and quick.  Shakespeare was a little daunting at first, but I signed up to be in the first group presentation and so my big project for the semester is already over and the professor is phenomenal (and scary).  The American Novel class I love simply because I love American Literature.  I would study American Lit over British Lit any day (fun fact!).  And then with the English classes I am also taking a Joseph Smith class from Susan Black.  She's supposed to be amazing, and while her memory is mind blowing, it is slightly difficult to stay awake with her "talk at you" style.  Maybe it'll grow on me?

Then sewing (you should already know all about the ridiculousness of this class...) and my research!  I wouldn't have embarked on another semester of this research except that I submitted an ORCA grant, so if I actually get the 1500 dollars, I need to finish the project to keep it.  We should find out soon about that, cross your fingers!


So...in other happenings, Dave got to go climbing over the 3-day weekend while I worked on my project and he had a blast.  We saw Phantom last night at BYU which I absolutely loved.  Delaney was amazing as Christine--a regular Bernadette Peters.  We got a blender.  (We love smoothies!!)  We tried Bombey House and loved it.  We had Emma and Skyler over for dinner on Sunday.  And I'm teaching the primary the descant to "I am a Child of God" and the girls' enthusiasm is awesome!




I think that sums our lives up for now, it's been fun.  Oh, and Utah is attempting to single-handedly sabotage our semester with it's negative degree weather and frozen rain...Much more of this and it might succeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment