Thursday, January 10, 2013

Our December...

I feel bad that I have such a hard time blogging.  I really need to get better or start scrapbooking or something at least.  Maybe I'll make it a new year's resolution?  So the past month or so we have been to both sides of the country, celebrated Christmas together, started a new semester in school, and refurbished our house.  To say we've been busy would be a pretty big understatement...

It started with Annie and Russ' wedding.  It was so beautiful!!  On December 15th, Dave and I had the privilege of attending their temple sealing and there were lots of happy tears and hugs after they were legally and lawfully married :)  That same night we went to the RSM bell tower for their reception and it was so gorgeous you wouldn't have even known you were in the bell tower.  Complete with a carving station for dinner, an amazing candy table, a dance floor, outside London-esque lamp-post lights brought inside, and about 20 trees lining the walls.  It felt like we were outside, without the uncomfortableness of the cold air ;)  They choreographed their first dance and it was just stunning.  They looked so beautiful and happy and care-free.  It was such a great day.  For Dave and I to be in the exact same temple celebrating another wedding just 4 months later was a pretty neat experience.  I must say, it was better to attend the wedding than be the bride.  Just a whole lot less stress.  And way more time to talk to people as well.

Right after the wedding we came back to Utah for a few days (just enough time for a couple doctor's appts and packing).  Dave worked and I got ready for New Jersey.  We flew to New Jersey to spend Christmas with the Rackhams and it was a blast!  I thought it'd be heart-breaking to be away from my family for the first time for Christmas, but Dave's parents were so thoughtful and even went caroling one of the days for me!  They integrated some of my family's traditions with theirs and aside from one minor night of homesickness, New Jersey was a relaxing, rejuvenating, joyful, and happy week.  We were sad to leave a week later.  

When we arrived back home we were ready to immediately start fixing up our house.  Since we officially became the owners we have been dying to repaint and fix up the bathroom at the very least.  We spent most of Friday night and Saturday day planning our time and making decisions on what colors of paint as well as tile patterns.  We made a total of 5-6 trips to Lowe's I believe on Saturday because we didn't realize:
       1) How different paint looks from a sample on it's paper to a wall.  From morning to afternoon to night on the walls.
       2) How involved replacing the tile floor in a tiny bathroom actually is.
       3) How important Safety Goggles, kneepads, and gloves are to being successful...
       4) How hard it is to cut tile yourself...
I think we ended up with about 20 paint samples on the wall and about 7 different opinions before everyone let me stick with the one I finally chose.  We had developed an intimate relationship with the nice old man who walked us through everything about tile from grout colors, to sealer, to size of tiles, to what consistency to mix the mortar to to make the tiles stick, to cutting our tiles for us before Lowe's was about to close and I'm sure laughing at our confidence that we had planned and measured the pattern accurately to know ahead of time what exact cuts we needed...

And this was all before my parents arrived...

No comments:

Post a Comment